Monday, August 13, 2007

Saved By The Bell.

In my last post, I commented about practicing your copywriting skills. I stated that, since it was summer, you could practice from a hammock beneath a shade tree. I fully intended to follow my own advice, but then…I made the mistake of telling my wife.

That, my friends, was not a smart move! Soon, I had an ever-growing list of “around-the-house” projects that needed to be done. To be honest, I’ve put some of them (maybe, most of them) off for quite a while. So, good husband that I am I set out to due my duty.

But…after a couple of days of being scratched, burned, bruised, and battered in 93-degree heat…it was time to take drastic action. I contacted a few clients, “just to stay in touch.”

That magic “save-me formula” kicked in. Activity breeds activity. One of my clients replied to my email asking me to call. She wanted to discuss a few projects that were coming up. I dialed her number so fast the phone was smoking.

We discussed the projects and I made some notes. Her next question was, “How soon can you get a proposal to me?” (“As soon as I put this rake away,” I thought to myself.)

I told her that it would be on her desk within three days along with an available start date. As I wheeled a cart full of tools back to the shed, I saw my wife watching from the window (in the air-conditioning). I pointed to the phone in my hand and mouthed “client call.” She shook her head and mouthed something through the window. If I were a lip-reader, I’d swear she said, “You are one lucky S.O.B.”

No comments: