Saturday, May 19, 2007

Where The Rubber Meets The Road.

As a copywriter, you don’t always get to see how well your promo or package does.
If you do get to see results, it may be in general terms.

If it beats the current control, you’ll hear about it, and…if it bombs (heaven forbid) you may hear about that too.
Then again, you may just never get any work from that client or his friends ever again.

If you want a real education about launching a promotion, start your own business and write all of the copy associated with that start-up. If you plan to sell online, you can get almost instant feedback as to how well your copy sells.

I am involved with a start-up online company. I accepted a partnership in lieu of my standard copywriting fee.
Now, that sounds like a great deal (and as we get further along, it will be) but initially all of the revenue goes to build the business.
The scary part is when you start to advertise. Will the ads draw? Will the copy sell once they get to the site? Have we priced it properly for maximum profit?
It doesn’t take long for you to find out.

When we launched, I asked for feedback from a few friends.
Most of them said my copy was too long…nobody would read it.
Others said the website was too amateurish, people wouldn’t buy from a site like that.
Well, we’ve proven them wrong.
The site and the copy sells product. Could it be better? Sure! And as we make more money, we’ll upgrade.
In the meantime, we’re looking at economical ways to get our message out and drive people to our site.
I’ll continue to “tweak” the copy as we go.

If you want to see what the site and the copy looks like, go to www.integritea.com.
Tell me what you think. I’m a big boy...I can take it.

No comments: